Thor SterkerCo-Founder at PB Consultants
- After graduating as a mechanical engineer in 1977, Thor commenced his career in the oil & gas industry as a mud logger on drill rigs involved in ultra-deep onshore wells in Germany and Italy.
- In 1979, he joined, Heerema as field engineer and was involved in more than 68 offshore installation projects. To date, as Consultant / Superintendent he was involved in more than 800 decommissioning related projects in N-Sea, SEA Asia, Australia, GOM and California.
- In the early days of platform decommissioning he Researched & Developed innovative subsea cutting tools, novel decommissioning techniques and initiated in excess of 85 new ideas to effectively reduce decommissioning costs. He is currently engaged by Universiti Technologi Petronas to further develop these technologies.
- Since 2011, as Technical Advisor to the Banks - Lenders (Mortgagee in Possession) he was involved and responsible for the repossession at high seas of distressed assets such as the Semi Submergible “Etesco Millenium”, FPSO OSX 2 and the Deepwater drilling Vessel Sertao.
- Lately, PBC performed an independent review of the total decommissioning liabilities of several large subsea developments and on 50 or so offshore oil and gas fields with a total decommissioning liability in excess of €3.5B as part of M&A projects.
- Most recently, the Bureau of Safety and Environment Enforcement in US (BSEE) engaged Thor to train and bring their Engineers and Inspectors up to speed with latest decommissioning issues